London Broil with Balsamic Mustard Sauce - Easy













It's that time again, Dear Reader, when I introduce to you another recipe, brought to you courtesy of the Secret Recipe Club.  In case you missed last time, this where  I make a recipe from a blog assigned to me by the SRC, while a another SRC member selects one of mine.  Today is reveal day!  Woo-hoo!  Check out other members of the SRC found below today's post.

This month's chosen fellow blogger is Lindsay from Eat, Knit, Grow (can a female be a "fellow?" I thought "fellows" were guys, like in for he's a jolly good fellow.  But I digress ...).  Lindsay takes great photos of her creations.  I bet all her recipes are delicious as well.  Many of her recipes are either kosher-friendly or easily adaptable so I had many from which to choose.  

Lindsay's original recipe is for Bison Flank Steak.  While bison is a kosher animal, I had a beef London broil conveniently defrosting in the fridge so I went with that.  For the same reason, I also swapped the red wine vinegar for red wine.  The red pepper flakes were omitted simply because I forgot about them.  Didn't miss them, so they were demoted to optional.   If your idea of spicy is ketchup, keep them at optional as well.

The preferential cooking method is grilling.  But when I made the steaks a couple week's ago, it would've taken about a week to get my grill to the proper temperature even if the November wind didn't keep blowing out the flame.  So these steaks were instead electro-broiled in my nice warm kitchen.  Come June, clones will be flamed-charred outdoors by a real flame.


















Because I forgot of time constraints, marinating overnight became the few seconds it took brushing marinade on the meat and shoving the pan into the oven.  The result, as you can see, was still outstanding.  Consider this a fast and easy week-night meal.  Thanks, Lindsay!


London Broil with Balsamic Mustard Sauce - Easy
based on Eat, Knit, Grow
Yield: 4 servings

1/4 cup red wine
2 Tbl. balsamic vinegar
1 Tbl. soy sauce (regular or reduced salt)
1 Tbl. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. dijon mustard
2 tsp. chopped garlic (about 2 cloves; bottled okay)
1/2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes (optional)
2  London broil steak, about 1to 1 1/2 lbs. total
















Preheat broiler.  Mix all ingredients except steaks in a small bowl to create marinade.


Lightly oil a broiler pan or do like me where I crumple up foil, then slightly uncrumple so that peaks remain; use to line a rimmed pan (allows grease and other ick to fall safely away from the meat).  Place steaks in a single layer on the foil/oiled pan.  Brush liberally with marinade. Place pan on highest rack in oven. 















Broil  4-6 minutes, or until browned and marinade just begins to char.  Flip steaks.  Brush on more marinade; discard any remaining. Broil for an additional 4-6  minutes for medium-rare or until cooked to your liking (if smoke starts to pour out your oven, the steaks might be ready).

Cover steaks and let stand 5 minutes (to allow juices to redistribute).















Slice steaks against the grain.














Divide among 4 plates and serve hot or warm.  Serve with potatoes and/or your favorite veggies.  Major YUM!

In the photo is parve "creamed" spinach (NOT from Lindsay's blog!).  Let's just say the exotic spices called for were YUCKY not to my taste.  Hopefully the next version will be sharable.

Disclaimer - because this recipe is part of an online cooking challenge, the linked recipes below might not be kosher.

Comments

  1. Got here through SRC - this looks like a great marinade for steak!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks really good! My husband has been requesting a London broil since day 1 of our marriage and we're about to celebrate 5 years...you make it look easy so maybe I should set aside my nerves and try it out :)

    Stopping by from SRC

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hungry and drooling over the London broil! (and the potato because I LOVE potatoes!).

    Everything looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yeah, I am loving the look of that beef. If you'd have had the full marinating time, I can't imagine how much more tender and tasty it would be. The ingredient list is fantastic. Thanks for sharing a great SRC recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love London Broil. My hubby would devour this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. That looks so delicious. The meat is beautifully done. Yum yum ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. yum! I love a good piece of steak! the sauce sounds great

    ReplyDelete
  8. Just how do you cook that beef so perfectly without peeking into the foil? That is just so good.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great flavor! Made the marinade exactly according to the recipe, and marinated the meat before broiling it. A very simple and delicious preparation. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Comments are appreciated! Any spam or improper language will be detected and deleted.