Chimichurri-ish Sauce - Easy

So I have this half-jar of basil pesto sauce left over from the other day and today I'm trying to figure out what to do with it, since an opened jar has shelf life of only a couple weeks.

I also had 3 steaks and one chicken in the fridge, patiently waiting to become charcoal dinner.

Didn't I ever make chimichurri sauce once upon a time?  And, of course, forgot to post it.  Oopsie ...


Okay, what is chimichurri anyway?  Sounds spicy.  Food should not hurt ...

 Fear not, Dear Reader.  Chimchurri is the anti-heat spicy, just pro-tasty spicy.  Chimichurri sauce, according to epicurious, is an herb sauce originally from Argentina.  It is a bright green paste made from parsley, garlic, oil, salt and pepper, usually served on steak or chicken.  Several versions around the intertubes add red wine vinegar, onion and other ingredients.

But. Not. Basil.  Or basil pesto.

So.  What.  Consider this version to be in the "other ingredients" category.

But it does need some parsley added, otherwise the recipe consists of:  1. open jar  2. spoon some pesto on whatever is not moving on your plate. 

Since parsley is not growing on the windowsill this season, I hopped outside (almost literally, someone left their sneakers on the step ...  again) to the herb garden and picked a few sprigs of parsley that the bunnies haven't found yet.  Wish they would eat the dill.  I discovered this year why it's called dill weed ... I have little dill plants all over the garden.  Dill is nice, but why couldn't the cilantro reproduce this madly.  Or the basil.

But I digress ...

Brought the parsley inside, snipped off the leaves (discarding the stems), then starting scissoring them AGAIN and AGAIN and AGAIN until they were almost a dark mushy mash.

*Whew* A lot of work!  Almost 30 whole seconds of my life that I'll never recover ...

Mixed the mush with a couple tablespoons of basil pesto.   Most ready-made basil pesto contains cheese of one form or another, but I found a parve (non-dairy) version in the refrigerated kosher aisle of the local Try-n-Save.  So even vegans can have a go with it on their veggie of choice (or as a soup garnish).

Presto!  Chimichurri-ish Sauce.  Enough for 2 servings (youngerSon wasn't going to have any.  He dislikes anything that gets in the way of Sriracha sauce).

Too easy for even a recipe.  Quick enough to make while yelling upstairs for youngerSon to set the table.

Spread immediately on a grilled steak, fish or chicken.  If you optionally add a teaspoon of lime juice, it is absolutely heavenly on grilled corn on the cob.  Oh, yum-yum-yum!

Almost wish I had photos.  But by the time I realized that my concoction actually tasted good, all the grilled chicken and steak were gone.  Sorry you missed it.

Comments