Spaghetti and Meatballs

Due to bad planning, lunch today consisted of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich.  On a whole wheat hot dog roll.  So by the time I got home from work, I was too starving to care about taking photos of the cooking process.  So please cut me a little slack.  I 'preciate it.

Normally I add a little fresh chopped basil to the mixture.  But I ran out of the froz'ed stuff, and it was raining WAY too hard to go outside to pick some fresh.   The meatballs were very good anyway, so I changed the recipe to make basil optional.

I also usually add dried bread crumbs.  But in my starving state I forgot completely about it ... and didn't miss it.  So it's left out completely here.  But if it's against your religion to omit it, toss in about 1/2 cup of dried crumbs of your choice:  plain, flavored or panko.

You can use 1 whole egg instead of the egg whites, but I like reducing the fat and cholesterol where it won't affect the outcome.

Don't get all snobby with me about the jarred sauce.  Cooking the meatballs in the sauce kills any "jar" taste, whatever that it.

Tomorrow for me at work will be spaghetti with a little sauce.  No meatballs.  MiddleChild is back from Israel, and I'm still getting used to cooking for 4 instead of 3.  Plus I invited the neighbor's kid to eat with us, since MiddleChild was at his house when I called to ask if he (son) was dining with us this evening.  So no meatball leftovers.  Oh, well, it was a good trade-off.

Spaghetti and Meatballs
Serves 5 (including 3 teenage boys), plus a little spaghetti leftover

1 pkg. (about 12 oz.) ground beef
1 pkg. (about 12 oz.) ground turkey
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 Tbl. fresh basil, finely chopped (optional)
1/2 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper
1/2 tsp. kosher salt
2 Tbl. soy powder mixed with 1/4 cup water (or 1/4 cup soy milk)
2 egg whites

1 26-32 oz. jar of marinara sauce
2-1 lb. packages of spaghetti or spaghettini

Preheat broiler.  Lightly spray a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray and set aside.

In a large bowl mix together the first 8 ingredients with your hands.  Roll the mixture into 1 inch balls and place on prepared baking sheet about an inch apart.  Broil about 6 inches from flame for 10-15 minutes, or until nicely browned on top.

While meatballs are under the broiler, start boiling water in a pot large enough to hold the spaghetti.  Cook spaghetti according to package directions.

Pour marinara sauce into large saucepan.  Using a slotted spoon, move meatballs into sauce.  Cover, and heat until sauce starts to bubble, then reduce heat to simmer.  Continue to simmer until spaghetti is ready.

Drain spaghetti.  Divide spaghetti among 5 plates.  Ladle meatballs and sauce over spaghetti and serve hot.

Comments