Oh Poi!

There was this cookbook on a library shelf ...

It was talking to me ...

Every time I walked by  ...

Pick me up ... READ ME!

EVERY time I walked by ... and it seemed like several million times a day ...

Pick me up ... READ ME!

Tried to ignore the pleadings, but today it finally got to me ... I caved in and opened it ...

It's a Hawaiian luau cookbook!*  Hawaiian? you ask.  Yes, I reply.  But isn't it all roast pig and poi?   Well, some of it is all pig and poi.  I skipped the pig chapters.  And am in the process of scanning the fine print in order to find something to sub for the poi.  By the way, I heard it's called poi because that's the first thing you say when you eat some: "Poi, that's awful!"  Sorry ... but I digress ...

I prefer recipes that do not require substituting 28 of the ingredients to suit my little ol' kosher kitchen.  I dislike having to streamline instructions so dinner can be served before midnight (The Fourth Meal is NOT served here, at least on weekdays).  Most of the book's recipes are mega-multi-instructed.  But it looks like the recipes'll have to be "Americanized" as well since my local Try-n-Save doesn't carry taro leaves and such.  Wait!  Don't hit the comments link.  Yet.  I know already that Hawaii IS one of the 57 states of America. 

Anyway, I'm working my way through the cookbook.  I like how the author speaks a little like me ("da food" for example.  I guess Hawaiians speak Bronx) so maybe there's hope.   If there's something I can make yet still taste of the Tropical State I'll post it posthaste.

*It's a relatively old cookbook (from waaay back in1999), but if you are interested, go to your nearest library, or view the book to peak at the first few pages and index.

Comments