Roast Beef, Easy














After much arm-twisting and begging by me, a devout non-cook friend of mine took a look at my blog. She sent me an email telling me how great this blog is, with plenty of funny stuff to read, even if she ignores the recipes because they are way too complex for a person such as herself. She then requested that I include recipes with 5 ingredients or less, and with 2 steps or less. Well, since she was thoughtful enough to email me, how could I refuse?

I needed to add some more entrees to the line-up, and thought of blogging about the shoulder roast waiting patiently in the refrigerator. I could make it complicated or I could make it easy. In deference to my friend, guess which way I went? ;-)

If you don’t count the salt and pepper, the ingredients list just hits 5. The original recipe, which I found at momswhothink.com, calls for peeling garlic, sauteing it in oil, then discarding the garlic. I cut these steps out completely by using some of the oil that the pre-chopped garlic is packed with.




I grew up thinking that parsley was that green thing on the plate whose sole purpose was to get in the way of the pickle. Eventually, I learned that parsley was something better … a great breath freshener! So THAT was what it was there on the plate for, an after-dinner mint! But I digress ….

There are a few more steps than 2, but I couldn’t bring myself to use dried parsley.  How could I cheap-out on the parsley, especially when the roast costs $$$$. However, using a scissors makes quick work of the parsley drudge-work.

The meat roasts better if it isn’t refrigerator cold. A cold roast will have to be overcooked on the outside in order for the inside not to moo. One recipe I once saw called for leaving it out as long as 2 hours. I don’t want to eat at that guy's house.

Don’t be intimidated by the tied part. That’s how it came from the butcher.

And fresh breadcrumbs. Sometimes ya just gotta take the extra 2 minutes and make your own fresh breadcrumbs. Everyone who eats this will fall down in ecstasy. That’s worth a couple slices of bread and a few minutes of your time, nu?

Roast Beef with Garlic Crust 
Serves 6

One 2 lb. shoulder roast (or equivalent cut), rolled and tied
about 2 slices white, Italian or French bread
1 tsp. oil from a jar of chopped garlic in oil
1 Tbs. olive oil
1/4 cup loosely packed fresh parsley
1 tsp. of kosher salt
1 tsp. coarsely ground black pepper

About a half hour before you start making dinner, remove beef from refrigerator and let sit in its packaging on a platter on the counter.

After the 1/2 hour is up, preheat oven to 325F. Grate the bread slices into a medium-size bowl.

Using a scissors, snip the parsley into tiny pieces. Add to bowl, along with the oils, salt and pepper, and stir until the breadcrumbs are evenly coated.

Remove packaging from beef, then place beef back on the platter. If the beef is moist, pat dry with paper towels.














Press the crumb mixture evenly all over (the beef, not you).

Set beef on a roasting rack in a roasting pan. Insert a meat thermometer half-way into the thickest portion. Roast for about 60 to 90 minutes for medium, or until the thermometer registers 160F.













Remove thermometer.  Let roast rest for 15 minutes.













Cut and remove strings, then slice.  Serve with your favorite veggies.

Comments