Brownies for Valentine's Day

I asked darling son what he would like for me to make for Valentine's Day. As usual, he shrugged and said, whatever. I didn't even ask daHubby because he would just say make whatever I like, so the score is thus: 2 for whatever.

Why then should I then wreck the kitchen for anything fancy? So brownies to the rescue! Rather than fall back on my standard brownie recipe, Hershey's triple chocolate brownie pie (which I clipped from a 1991 Hershey's ad and is not, unfortunately on the current Hershey's web site but you can find a copy using The Google), I thought I would try LunaCafe's Silky Fudgy Brownie recipe.

The LunaCafe recipe is more complicated, and requires a stand mixer and a saucepot (unlike ol' faithful which only needs a bowl, whisk and microwave to melt the butter). However, LC calls for 4 egg whites instead of 2 whole eggs, so I thought I'd give it a go.

The recipe says bake for "around 40 minutes." Apparently 25 is the new 40, because it was ready to hit the cooling rack at 25 minutes.

Except for a crack in the crust, the top looked almost as if it weren't baked at all. It was that smooth. Still, I was a little worried. Even at only 25 minutes, they might have been overbaked since the directions stated that a wooden toothpick stuck in the center should have a bit of crumb attached. But my toothpick came out clean.

I worried for naught. OMG! Folks, these brownies are wonderful! Silky and fudgy aren't just a title, they are the exact description! A layer of smoooooth fudge underneath a very lightly crisp crust.

The brownies are a little too fragile to bring to work. That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Comments